It’s been a crazy week! I made these muffins 2 weeks ago and I loved them so much I made them again last week to take to a friend’s for breakfast. It’s taken me too long to share them!
I love them because they have whole wheat flour and oatmeal so they are pretty filling but not too heavy. I think they have the right amount of sugar (about 1 tablespoon per muffin) and oil (1/3 tablespoon per muffin).
I made them 3 different ways! For the first batch, photographed in this post, I added shredded carrots + cinnamon to half and mashed bananas + frozen blueberries to the other half. By the way how cute is that oven mitt??
For the second batch (I forgot to take photos- oops) I made a lemon poppy seed version! I added lemon zest + freshly squeezed lemon juice + poppy seeds. I left out the oatmeal for this batch.
I obviously love muffins, since I made this version a while ago too. I hope you love them too.
Mix and Match Muffins
Adapted from Taste of Home
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup canola oil
– 1 banana mashed + 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
– 1 medium carrot shredded + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon lemon zest + 2 tablespoons lemon juice + 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds (leave out the oatmeal)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the oats, flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another small bowl, stir together eggs, milk and oil. Stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
3. Add fruit and flavorings at this point.
4. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tin with batter. Bake 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.